Greetings and some questions

General Cobra & Ace topics
John4337
Forum member
Forum member

Greetings and some questions

Post by John4337 »

Hello all, thank you for allowing me to join. I'm in the USA and working on fitting a hardtop to my Factory Five I've been looking for one for a while and stumbled on one that is pretty close in appearance to the original Berry plastics tops that I've found photos of. While working on the top, I've also been looking ahead to side curtains. While researching, I found photos of a cobra with a hardtop and two sets of side curtains, one full frame and one 3/4 frame.

I was hoping that someone here may know more about these, and if there was a reason for the different type with the hardtop.

For anyone that's interested, here's a link to the forum thread documenting my hardtop project.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthr ... post524416

And a photo of my car.

Thanks very much.

John
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Greetings and some questions

Post by KevinW »

You're welcome to see my thread on Bubbletops elsewhere on this forum, and the latest article in the club mag. :)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

When you say one type of side screen is full size and another 3/4. Do you mean not full height or not full length?
My only thought is my wife likes me to use the side screens on their own in good weather to keep the noise of other vehicles down on the motorway. Tyre roar from cars with wide tyres becomes a little wearing on a longer journey. The other option is we use intercom headsets.
We do have a number of Factory Five owning members so perhaps they might know.
I admire your patience in modifying the hardtop. Clearly the supplier was way off the mark in getting the shape correct.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Maybe 3/4 refers to a standard sidescreen, and a full one has a welded in leading edge at the front?
John4337
Forum member
Forum member

Post by John4337 »

peterc wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:09 am When you say one type of side screen is full size and another 3/4. Do you mean not full height or not full length?
My only thought is my wife likes me to use the side screens on their own in good weather to keep the noise of other vehicles down on the motorway. Tyre roar from cars with wide tyres becomes a little wearing on a longer journey. The other option is we use intercom headsets.
We do have a number of Factory Five owning members so perhaps they might know.
I admire your patience in modifying the hardtop. Clearly the supplier was way off the mark in getting the shape correct.
Peter C
Yes, I was referring to the side screen frame. The more commonly seen one doesn’t have a metal frame at the front, but this other type does and I’ve only seen them on cars with hardtops.

I don’t know where this top came from, it was on and ERA, but they don’t make a hard top.
John4337
Forum member
Forum member

Post by John4337 »

Here’s a photo of them on Hank Williams’s car

Last edited by John4337 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John4337
Forum member
Forum member

Post by John4337 »

KevinW wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:49 pm Maybe 3/4 refers to a standard sidescreen, and a full one has a welded in leading edge at the front?
That’s correct
John4337
Forum member
Forum member

Post by John4337 »

KevinW wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:23 pm You're welcome to see my thread on Bubbletops elsewhere on this forum, and the latest article in the club mag. :)
Wow! Just read thru your thread, and I thought I was doing major surgery. Well done.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I thought you meant physically only 3/4’s of the size. The Hawk range of cars don’t seem to have differing side screen design for hard top or soft top. Not sure why you would need it to be different as the side screen fits just inside the edge of windscreen regardless of the type of top.
If designed to fit I would expect the type with the front portion of frame would be better.
Obviously this is unique to another variety of replica. No doubt one of their owners would be able to expand on the reason.
Peter C
John4337
Forum member
Forum member

Post by John4337 »

peterc wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:02 am Obviously this is unique to another variety of replica. No doubt one of their owners would be able to expand on the reason.
Peter C
I’ve actually only seen them one photos of early CSX cars. More odd stuff about these cars.